Three Robin Hood Jigsaw Puzzles



It really is great to have a number of regular blog readers (our merry band of Whistling Arrows) who not only are fans of Walt Disney’s Story of Robin Hood (1952), but also collect memorabilia from the film. So when Neil had a tidy-up recently, he re-discovered and sent me images of three 58 year old jigsaw puzzles depicting scenes from our favourite film, that will certainly make us all go Lincoln green with envy!



A year ago I posted a picture of one of these exquisitely painted puzzles showing Richard Todd as Robin Hood firing his bow. I thought at the time that the style of the artist is very similar to the artwork on the original film poster of 1952. Perhaps we will never know for sure, but in the meantime we can just admire these three excellent examples of Disneyana, courtesy of Neil.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to see the original artwork!


To see more memorabilia from Walt Disney's 'Story of Robin Hood and his Merrie Men,' please click on the Label 'Memorabilia' below.

7 comments:

Clement Glen said...

Three Robin Hood Jigsaw Puzzles

Memorabilia from Walt Disney's Story of Robin Hood and his Merrie Men (1952).

Mike Giddens said...

Wow!! these are fantastic, i would have had these , i was certainly around at the time but never ever saw them for sale antwhere what a find Neil, envy envy.beautiful artwork .

Neil said...

These three puzzles are part of a set of four - alas I dont yet have the other. I reckon that this type of promotion must have been very prevalent in the early 50s. I have three jig saws from The Blue Lagoon starring Jean Simmons and years ago had one from Diamond City of that era. They are indeed beautifil items to have. The artwork on the one shown with Robin and Marian walking through the trees followed by Alan A Dale and Friar Tuck is exceptionally good - and my own favourite. It never ceases to amaze me to see the items that Clement is able to get hold of for this site. We look forward to more which I am sure will come along.

Kathryn Warner said...

Oh, those jigsaws are gorgeous! *Wants* :)

Clement Glen said...

Thank you for sharing these with us Neil.

I wonder if locked away somewhere is the original artwork by the artist for these puzzles? Perhaps someone out there could let me know.

I am sure the bidding for the paintings between Kathryn, Neil, Hern's Son and myself would go quite high!

Mike Giddens said...

God yes the bidding would be quite a battle. my book 1952 from the film has that same art work with Robin firing the bow.the inside cover has some art work too.

Kathryn Warner said...

Clement, I suspected as much. Ah well, I can dream. :-)